2012年6月13日 星期三

What The Last Spiderman Films Got Wrong


I used to consider myself a big Spidey fan. That is until the first Sam Raimi Spiderman film came out back in 2002. I remember sitting in the cinema awaiting some web slinging action. I wouldn't say eagerly awaiting as I'd already seen Tobey Maguire in the trailers. I'm an optimist though and Sam Raimi has made one of my favourite films (A Simple Pan) so I was half expecting to be pleasantly surprised. Oh, how I was not either amused nor entertained. As there is a new Spiderman movie in production I'm going to run through what I see (I realise a lot of people love these films) as the major flaws that stopped me from liking the previous films.

The Cast. Here we go with the big one. The first film has one of the stinkiest casts ever assembled. Willem Dafoe as the Green Goblin is truly awful, and not in a good way. If I didn't know what film I was watching I would assume it was a send up of how to play a super villain. The Green Goblin suit didn't help matters but the performance is so over the top it just can't be taken seriously and therefore ruins my enjoyment of the movie.

Then there's the main character Tobey Macguire who plays Tobey Macguire in a Spiderman suit. I find his acting style to be virtually non existent. He has one look and that is to look a bit 'woe is me'. Spiderman in the comics was a fun loving guy who needs to juggle his super hero antics with his busy life. There's no need for angst in a Spiderman movie. There's a reason he got the nickname Spidey. He's a likable character.

That said. The tone of the films doesn't set the story in a realistic grounded setting. I think the films are set in some kind of weird limbo where people don't act the way they do in everyday life. Of course the idea of a Spiderman is pretty far fetched but what's interesting to me is always to see how a fantastical story affects real world environments and relationships. Maybe the next films will have more of a serious tone. And if I know gritty reboots they probably will.




For more articles and blogs about Spiderman or to buy Spiderman action figures visit BangZapToys.co.uk.





This post was made using the Auto Blogging Software from WebMagnates.org This line will not appear when posts are made after activating the software to full version.

沒有留言:

張貼留言